By Jerry Masek
The beginning of a new year is a good time to count our blessings. We all enjoy living in West Park, but what part do you enjoy most? For me, it is the ease in getting around. Consider all the wonderful means of transportation contained within West Park’s borders. Here is a listing, in order of speed.
- Walk on sidewalks through wonderfully-kept neighborhoods.
- Hike on trails in the Metroparks.
- Swim at the West Park YMCA, or the city-operated Gunning Recreation Center.
- Ice skate at the city-operated Halloran Ice Skating Rink on West 117th Street — the eastern edge of West Park.
- Ride a horse in the Metroparks. There is a popular stable at the bottom of the Puritas Road Hill.
- Bike on city streets, or in the Metroparks.
- Ride a golf cart at one of three golf courses in the Rocky River Reservation — Big Met, Little Met and Mastick Woods.
- Drive on a highway. West Park includes parts of three interstates — I-71, I-90 and I-480.
- Ride an RTA bus or train. West Park includes six Red Line Rapid Stations, and Triskett — the largest bus garage in Ohio.
- Board an airplane at Hopkins International Airport, and fly anywhere in the world.
- Visit NASA’s Glenn Research Center to find out more about “space — the final frontier.” You can’t get much higher than that.
Look at these 11 options. They far outnumber those offered by any other neighborhood in Cleveland. May 2022 be a great year — for all of us.
P.S – Did I miss any transportation options? If so, let us know.
Jerry Masek has lived in West Park since 1983.